Reports, a better way?

Reports, a better way

1. Student reports every June and December for 30 years, how many hours I wonder? Now that I have stepped out of the classroom and into school leadership I am spending just as many hours proof reading reports that others have written. Is there a better way, I wondered?
    Queen’s Birthday Weekend, Melbourne 2013, I posted a tweet … I was thinking out loud …

2. After a weekend spent proof reading reports – a question I ask myself .. Is there a better way to inform students and parents? #vicpln #ozed
  3. Is there a better use of my time? Would more time spent evaluating, reflecting on and planning for individual student learning, more time spent focusing on the future rather than writing about the past be more productive and effective? Is there a better way?

4. @melcashen So we need to start a list #betterwaystoreportonstudentprogress No 1 – students write their own reports
  5. Seems others were thinking the same, asking the same questions …
  6. @medg56 Students and parents have access to ongoing feedback throughout the term. #betterwaystoreportonstudentprogress
  7. @melcashen @medg56 1 on 1 conferences with ur students each week? The doco or audio of conference is shared w/ parents that day via @edmodo
  8. @rakt @melcashen @medg56 we’ll be changing to ongoing online portfolios next year most likely. Just need the right platform.
  9. The responses on Twitter, led me to ask more questions. What is the purpose of reporting? Is a twice yearly report the most effective way? How can I make a difference?

10. @rakt @melcashen @medg56 Victorian schools have autonomy over the way they report to parents now so push for change with ur Prin!
  11. And the big question …. Am I a typical parent? In retrospect I would have much preferred an ongoing update that was timely and relevant rather than a twice yearly report. Do our parents feel the same? And if they don’t, do we work with them to change their thinking?
  12. @rakt @medg56 I’d also be interested in knowing how parents would take this? I’d love to trial it but know parents wont take time to sign up
  13. @WicksTim @medg56 @rakt I think it should be a PLE focus – students/parents/teachers decide best way to feedback not one way for all.
  14. @medg56 @rakt @rosskall @richielambert We need to support parents through the change. Show them why there are better ways to report.
  15. MT @melcashen: @medg56 We need to support parents through the change. > so true but I wonder have we asked parents what they prefer?
  16. So what does this all mean … for now it means I continue to keep an eye on the trials being run by @rakt @richielambert @troymoncur and others. It means I go back and read @melcashen’s blog post on Why it’s time to say goodbye to report comments . It means I start sowing seeds and continuing to ask the question … Is there a better way?
  17. @medg56 @richielambert @rakt @melcashen Like the thinking here – student blogs, ePortfolios & self-assessments online #betterwaystoreport
  18. If we only do what we have always done, we will always get what we have always got. What are you doing to change the status quo?

Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to
or comment.

Liked!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.