Understanding

This week’s #YourEdustory topis is ‘How will you make the world a better place?’

I am always very challenged by questions such as this …. making the world a better place is a big ask? However I can contribute to improving my corner of the world.

I recently read Grant Wiggins A Post from Paris. He was reflecting on the importance of ‘understanding‘ particularly in relation to recent events in France.

Our only hope in facing this crisis is to better understand why people think and act as they do – whether we like or detest what they do. No good comes from dismissing them as ‘evil’ and ending all thought in our moral smugness.’

The importance of understanding where people are coming from, rather than making judgements based on my own middle class values, is integral to who I am as an educator. And the longer I have been in education the more important this has become.

To understand, one has to be prepared to listen and to respect. To understand is one of my values, however it doesn’t mean I have to agrEe.

Throughout this year I will continue to work with students, parents, fellow educators to promote ‘understanding’. After all, when we understand why someone thinks or acts they way they do, we can work with them rather than against them.

This entry was posted in #YourEdustory and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Understanding

1. Celia says:

Margo,
    I believe you hit the nail on the head. Well said and a great ambition.

Celia

2. Kerri Flanigan says:

One of our modern day dilemmas – how to encourage critical thinking whilst simultaneously discouraging criticism. Well said!

3. Aaron Davis says:

Great post Margo. I am reminded of Dan Haesler’s call for ‘respect’ as the most important value a teacher can have when it comes to entering the classroom (http://danhaesler.com/2014/10/30/if-i-was-interviewing-for-teaching-staff/)

4. Margo Edgar says:

Thanks Celia, Kerrie & Aaron. Strangely enough Aaron, I was listening to an old episode of the TER podcast this morning and they referred t Dan Haesler’s call for ‘respect’. I thought then, that I needed to follow up and explore his ideas some more. And then you post a link – call that serendipity!