Every ‘lone nut’ needs someone like me.

When I first read this week’s #YourEdustory topic; “What is the best thing you do in your school?” I felt very uncomfortable about answering. I’m not sure if it is a teacher thing, an Australian thing or a me thing; to not naturally and comfortably talk about what you are good at.

Yet I knew the answer straight away, so why shouldn’t I answer.

The best thing I do ….. is provide the logical thinking, the organisation, the practicalities, the hard work …… that enable the innovative ideas of others to happen! I am not necessarily the most creative, the big picture thinker, the innovator; however I do know a great idea when I see, hear or read about one and I can help make it happen. I bring a calm, consistent, logical, practical, make things happen approach to my role as a school leader.

And I will happily spend as many hours as you need discussing your ideas, trialling them, reflecting on them, refining them and working with you to make them work.

This is one of the many things I love about my job.

And just in case you haven’t seen the ‘lone nut’, view it here.

This entry was posted in #YourEdustory and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Every ‘lone nut’ needs someone like me.

1. Celia says:

Margo,
    I so hope the busy-ness of school (all that time spent providing that wonderful support you mention) does not inhibit your blogging!

To me you described an image of a wonderful leader!

Celia

2. Heather says:

Hi Margo,
    I didn’t read that prompt in that way at all, I thought it was asking “What is the best part of your job?”, not “what are you good at?”. Either way though, you’ve answered it – something you love doing AND you’re good at it!
    I agree with Celia about the image of a wonderful leader too.
    Cheers,
    Heather

• Margo Edgar says:

The best sort of prompt Heather, one that is open to interpretation. I probably would have answered it the same. However I may have also mentioned supporting students to be the best they can be as one of the best things I do. Upon reflection, it probably uses the same set of skills.